SMIMS established the Department of Nephrology in 2010. From a modest start with 1 Nephrologist, 1 technician and 1 Dialysis Machine – the unit has grown tremendously to the current 2 consultants, 23 state-of-art machines and 10 technicians, and is considered one of the best dialysis units in South Tamil Nadu – the largest in the region. The programme suns 3 shifts, is very economical, and performs 2,000 dialysis every month. Emergency dialysis is available round the clock. Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD) is also performed.
In 2017, the department started live related donor renal transplantation, and kidney transplantation is now performed routinely without leaving the patient with a heavy financial burden.
Special Clinical Services
- Outpatient consultation all week
- 24 x 7 Emergency services
- Separate Inpatient general and special wards
- Fully equipped dialysis unit with 24 hours care provided by trained dialysis technicians and doctors
- Separate dialysis machines for sero negative and sero positive patients
- Separate dialysis machines for both HCV and HBsAg-positive patients
- Routine CAPD program (Home dialysis)
- Renal transplantation- Live donor program
- Training program for Post Graduates (MD – General Medicine, DM Nephrology)
- Comprehensive total renal care for Adult & Paediatric patients