The Department of Cardiology was started in the year 2011 under the leadership of senior Interventional Cardiologist Dr. Ajay Kumar. Initially it was started as a Non-Interventional department with facilities which included OPD consultation, ECG, ECHO and TMT. As the department gradually attracted more patients from all across Kanyakumari, the management decided to provide Interventional facility in the department. A huge leap was made in the year 2013 when both the Cath lab and Cardiac Surgery departments were established simultaneously. The team of Doctors was expanded to include three Interventional Cardiologists, four Cardiac Surgeons and 2 Senior Cardiac Anaesthetists. The TNCMCHIS scheme was also made available to facilitate various interventional and surgical procedures for the poor patients. Since then the department has made steady progress and now serves all class of patients across south Tamil Nadu.
The Department of Cardiology strives to provide quality cardiac care to all patients irrespective of their economic class.
Focus of the Department
- Congenital heart diseases – ECHO evaluation, catheterization studies, device closure of congenital heart disease and surgical correction of congenital heart disease.
- Valvular Heart Disease – Interventional Balloon Procedures, surgical correction including Valve repairs and Valve replacement.
- Arrythmias – Tachyarrythmias: can be dealt with electrophysiology study and Radiofrequency ablation.
- Bradyarrythmias – can be dealt with Permanent Pacemaker Implantation.
- Advanced electrophysiology procedures – Like ICD and CRT.
- Coronary Artery disease – Coronary angioplasty, CABG, Minimally invasive surgeries.
Research & Publications
- OP Department runs on all days including Sunday. The OPD is open from 9.00AM to 5.00 PM.
- ECG and TMT
- ECHO – there are 4 machines – a portable machine in the cath lab, 1 standard ECHO machine in CT-ICU, 1 in ICCU and a high quality dedicated ECHO machine in OPD. There are a variety of probes to take Transthoracic ECHO for Neonates, Children and adults and Trans oesophageal ECHO for children and adults.
- Cardiac ICU- 10 bedded ICU with trained Nursing staff. The bedside monitors are equipped to provide all required cardiac data including ECG, NIBP, Pulse rate, Invasive BP, JVP, Respiratory rate, oxygen saturation, etc.
- Cath lab – The floor mounted SIEMENS Cath Lab (ARTIS ZEE) has all modern provisions required to facilitate the smooth conduct of various interventional procedures. The 24 X 7 Cath Lab services are run by an interventional cardiologist and an interventional radiologist with a well trained team of technicians and nurses.
Head of Department
Dr. Ajay Kumar MD, DM, FIC, FESC, FACC
- Theory classes for under graduates.
- Theory Classes for post graduates.
- Case presentation for Post graduates and Interns.
- Seminar presentation for post graduates.
Conferences & CMEs
‘Child in Focus’- Paediatric Cardiology CME for Paediatricians, Anantya Resorts , Chittar Lakeside, 12th July, 2015